A Bareboat Charter is required by the US Coast Guard for having more than 6 passengers on an uninspected passenger vessel for hire. Any charter from Boat Tahoe of 7-10 (max 10) passengers is classified as a Bareboat Charter. Below is more information on Bareboat Charters:
- You will be renting and responsible for the boat yourself and hiring/paying the Captain separately. Charters MUST be driven by a qualified captain (requirements listed below). Boat Tahoe can provide a qualified captain for an additional charge of $100 per hour paid directly to the captain at the start of the charter. If you have a captain that meets all requirements you are welcome to use them but you must notify Boat Tahoe in advance and provide documentation meeting all requirements in advance.
- An additional Bareboat Charter agreement will be provided at the start of your charter that the charterer must sign
- If providing your own captain they must meet the following requirements:
- Minimum of USCG Masters License
- Minimum of 2 million dollars of boat / liability insurance that covers the boat, Boat Tahoe and the Tahoe Keys Marina.
- Minimum 100 days experience on Lake Tahoe.
Can I drive the boat myself?
- For bareboat charters of 7-10 people, if you meet all the requirements above you are allowed to drive the boat yourself. You must notify Boat Tahoe in advance and provide documentation of all requirements.
I don’t meet all the requirements / can’t find a captain. Can I still charter a boat?
- Absolutely! Boat Tahoe can provide a captain for you for an additional charge of $100 per hour paid directly to the captain at the start of the charter.
We have 6 or less people. What does this mean for me?
- Charters of 6 or less people do not follow the same U.S. Coast Guard regulations. All charters of 6 or less people through Boat Tahoe automatically include a captain within the charter cost.
I don’t see an option for 7-10 passengers during the booking. What should I do?
- If you don’t see an option for 7-10 passengers during the booking that means that time is not available for Bareboat Charters. Only a select number of Boat Tahoe’s boats are available for Bareboat Charters. Feel free to search for another time or give us a call at 530-208-0211 and we can help find a time that works for you.
Can we take more then 10 people on a Bareboat Charter?
- Sorry but Boat Tahoe has a max capacity of 10 people (plus the captain) for bareboat charters.