A Bareboat Charter is required by the US Coast Guard for having more than 6 passengers on an uninspected passenger vessel for hire. Any charter from Boat Tahoe of 7-10 (max 10) passengers is classified as a Bareboat Charter. Below is more information on Bareboat Charters:
- You will be renting and responsible for the boat yourself and hiring/paying for the captain & fuel separately. Charters MUST be driven by a qualified captain (requirements listed below). Boat Tahoe can provide a qualified captain for an additional charge of $100 per hour. This charge includes both captain fee and fuel and is to be paid directly to the captain at the start of the charter. If you have a captain that meets all requirements you are welcome to use them but you must notify Boat Tahoe in advance and provide documentation meeting all requirements in advance. In cases where you provide you own captain you will be required to pay for fuel in addition to the charter fee.
- Captains available by Boat Tahoe for Bareboat Charters can be viewed here.
- An additional Bareboat Charter agreement will be provided at the start of your charter that the charterer must sign
- If providing your own captain they must meet the following requirements:
- Minimum of USCG Masters License
- Minimum of 2 million dollars of boat / liability insurance that covers the boat, Boat Tahoe and the Tahoe Keys Marina.
- Minimum 100 days experience on Lake Tahoe.
Can I drive the boat myself?
- For bareboat charters of 7-10 people, if you meet all the requirements above you are allowed to drive the boat yourself. You must notify Boat Tahoe in advance and provide documentation of all requirements.
I don’t meet all the requirements / can’t find a captain. Can I still charter a boat?
- Absolutely! Boat Tahoe can provide a captain for you for an additional charge of $100 per hour paid directly to the captain at the start of the charter.
We have 6 or less people. What does this mean for me?
- Charters of 6 or less people do not follow the same U.S. Coast Guard regulations. All charters of 6 or less people through Boat Tahoe automatically include a captain within the charter cost.
I don’t see an option for 7-10 passengers during the booking. What should I do?
- If you don’t see an option for 7-10 passengers during the booking that means that time is not available for Bareboat Charters. Only a select number of Boat Tahoe’s boats are available for Bareboat Charters. Feel free to search for another time or give us a call at 530-208-0211 and we can help find a time that works for you.
Can we take more then 10 people on a Bareboat Charter?
- Sorry but Boat Tahoe has a max capacity of 10 people (plus the captain) for bareboat charters.